I am finally starting to feel like myself again. I ended up going to the Doctor of Friday and getting some X-rays done of my chest to be sure I didn't have a pneumonia. Sometimes I forget that because I am on an immune suppressing drug that it is not as easy for me to fight off virus's and that I have a higher chance of infection. Thankfully I only had a severe flu and bronchitis. Had I known that they could give me antibiotics I would have been in first thing because I am finally feeling good after five days of antibiotics.
I was able to catch up with my boss's who were in town before they headed back up to Oregon. One of the topics that really stuck in my mind was a conversation Ruthie and I were having about being young and in love. She told me that both her and Michael have regrets about "the one who got away." They both chose careers and their own desires over settling down and having children. My coworker and his girlfriend of over five years are at a roadblock in their relationship. She wants kids, he is not so certain he does. She has given him a deadline to make a decision or they will break up.
This has me wondering, is the decision to get married and have children something that you can pressure someone into or should it be a natural progression? Will it effect the future outcome of happiness?
I guess I am one of the lucky ones that this has never really been a factor when it comes to my relationship. Not only are we on the same page but we feel as though when the time is right for those decisions we will know. It will be something that we cannot explain, perhaps there might not even be logic, it will just be a feeling.
Greg has been my only REAL relationship. The longest I dated someone prior was about six months, enough time to find out who he was and decide I didn't like him. I was dubbed the "heartbreaker" by some guy friends in highschool because I was always the girl who hung out with the guys, burped louder than most, kicked ass in sports, and had a vulgar personality with no discretion. For whatever reason being so UNladylike was attractive to them and yet I would eat them up and spit them right back out because I never found my "match." I had a very particular set of qualities that I was looking for in a partner and I was not trying to waste any time of someone who did not meet my criteria. I was a woman on a mission.
So what happens if you finally find the person that meets your criteria but the timing isn't quite right? Should you sacrafice in the name of love with the hopes of things turning out to be good? Or do you listen to your own wants and desires with the hopes that it is "not meant to be?"
The choice is easy for me. I would do anything in the name of love. When you finally find a person who makes you better, who makes you feel beautiful inside and out, someone who SEES you, someone you can be your true self around, someone who supports your dreams and believes in you than I would be damned if I let that walk away. I am not so sure we have more than one real soulmate in life....when it works, it works. There is not denying or fighting it.
Would you be selfless enough to sacrafice in the name of love? Would you give up anything and everything to be with the one you love and to make him or her happy? Would you settle for less because they make you better? That to me, is the definition of unconditional love, the kind of love that lasts a lifetime.
"True love stories never have endings"
{via Naj}

No comments:
Post a Comment