It was an early morning. We woke up at 6:20 in order to get all packed, showered, and ready to go for the day. We had breakfast at Dennys and I indulged myself in some pancakes, hashbrowns, and fruit. Greg had a Grand Slam with pancakes, eggs, bacon, and sausage. We sat and talked with Nick (the Kiwi who is also a professional wrestler), Barney (one of the Americans originally from LA and now resides in New York), Ausmond (from Australia, I think) and another Aussie who i cant recall his name. After breakfast we loaded back onto the bus to head to Jasper.
We made two stops along the quick 4 hour drive or so. The first was basically in the middle of nowhere where we got Ellie and Jeff this awesome Moose/Bear stuffed animal. The second stop was at Mt. Robson. Unfortunately it was too cloudy to see the top of the peak but still incredible nonetheless. We had a grilled cheese and vegetable barley soup for lunch. On the way there the couple sitting across the way from us was snacking on a bag of Hugs Hershey Kisses and the entire drive I was salivating over them. So once we got to our second stop and they had exited the bus I thought "Oh what the hell they wouldn't mind if I grabbed one." So as I am reaching in, he comes running back in the bus to grab their camera. I tried to play it off like I was just fidgeting with my camera but I am mortified because I don't know if he thought I was going through their stuff. I really just wanted a piece of chocolate!! Maybe later tonight after a few drinks I will confess! (ha ha WHY AM I SO AWKWARD!!).
After lunch the people who decided to do the white water rafting departed and we carried on for the last hour of the drive. The views are breath taking and unlike anywhere I have ever been. I am not kidding when I say you are surrounded by forests, mountains, creeks, lakes, river, and wildlife in general. You can tell that Canada really values it's scenic beauty and does what it should to preserve it. I wish America was the same. The town of Jasper is adorable. It reminds me of Alaska, although I have never actually been, from the pictures I have seen it appears similar. Beautiful moutains surround the little town and there is snow still covering some of them. There is a park right across from our room that has trees and benches perfect for a picnic overlooking the mountains. People are just laying on the grass enjoying the beauty that surrounds them. It is peaceful here. We are getting ready to head into the town and check out some of the local shops before we head out to dinner...
So far this trip has been so refreshing. I desperately needed the quiet beauty of nature. This country is nothing short of amazing. I can't believe it has taken me this long to get here considering how close that it is. I have been thinking a lot about life as we drive and how I desire the ability to live a life like this. I want to find a career in which I can travel the world, meet new people, experience culture, and grow as an individual. Traveling makes me feel alive, passionate, inspired, and uplifted. I have been praying that I will find the answers I seek in order to move forward with my life.
In the meantime it is time to go explore my new surroundings and soak up everything Jasper has to offer!
Day 5 Pt. 2
We checked out some of the local shops and found a magnet that says "I Love Canada." We finally gave in to our craving and got an ice cream cone. It was the best mint chocolate chip ice cream and waffle cone, I think ever. After walking around the adorable town of Jasper we decided we were too hungry (a common theme this trip) to wait until 8 for dinner at the pub. Instead we went to Jasper's Pizza Parlor for some pizza. We got an incredible veggie pizza and some wine and beer while sitting atop the rooftop enjoying our view of the Canadian Rockies. It was incredible. At some point it started to drizzle and brought us the most beautiful rainbow. It felt so good to have the rain on my face-I felt cleansed and rejuvenated. We talked about life, future plans, hopes, dreams, ambitions. We talked a lot about my plans for school and the possibility of me moving somewhere within the next year. After a few rounds of possibility the most delicious wine I have had, we headed back to the hotel.
Then came the Jasper breakdown. It was bound to happen considering the vulnerability of both Greg and I going into this trip. We love each other, more than anyone, there is no doubt about that. We just both haven't been fully happy or satisfied within our relationship for some time now. We take each other for granted and forget that it takes work to nurture and maintain a healthy, loving relationship. We overlook the small things that make a big difference. But this night in Jasper, we let it all out. It was the most honest, raw, emotional conversation we have had in a long time. We cried, we laughed, and cried some more. Just like the feeling of the rain on my face, I felt cleansed and refreshed. It was the breakdown that needed to happen.
We held each other tight and held on to what we were feeling. My dreams were extremely intense as if to signify the release of a burden that had been suffocating me.






well documented! your travels sound so beautiful. I laughed out loud at the chocolate part haha
ReplyDelete