This morning we woke up at 10:15 with 45 minutes to get dressed, pack up, and check out. I was a little bummed that we slept in so late but I felt refreshed and rested. It had been raining all morning so hiking wouldn't have been very enjoyable, anyway. After checking out we walked around the Whistler Village some more and found the Olympic Ring site. There were walls of photos but the rings were relatively disappointing. I thought there would be more to signify the Olympics but there really isnt much considering the competitions all took place on the moutains. We got some food and snacks at the local Supermarket for lunch and the drive and met up with the rest of our group. We headed out for Kamloops at around 12:30.
Today has been a travel day. We drove for about 5 hours but the overall trip around 6 with stops. Although it was a long day, the drive was absoluely incredible. Everywhere we looked there was beautiful scenery; forest after forest, mountain after mountain, creek after creek, lake after lake. Greg even caught a glimpse of a Black Bear coming out of one of the creeks. Of course I missed it!! One girl also saw a bear within a number of feet of her. I am really hoping I get to see one before we leave. The drive was very swirvy and several people were getting carsick and puking. Exactly why I did NOT drink anything last night.
We are now in a small town called Kamloops. It reminds me a bit of Berkeley. There are lots of older buildings nestled within the hills/moutains. This is just kind of a rest stop so it does not nearly compare to Vancouver or Whistler but still boasts some culture of its own. We ate at a restaurant called "Frick and Frack" which reminded me of my sister, Amanda, since my grandma calls us that.
The "Veggie" Burger that I got was questionable and I had a few people at our table taste test it to verify that it was not in fact meat. It did not compare to the one I had yesterday that is for sure!! We sat at a table next to Derek, from Tennessee, Louise from England (Born in Northern Ireland and works for Mercedes Formula One), and a girl who is from Japan and spoke little English. After dinner some poeple went out for some drinks but we decided to just kick back since we had to be up at 6 am tomorrow morning. We stopped at 7 Eleven for some treats and voyaged back to our PINK hotel. We feel like we are in a time warp. On a side note, one thing I have noticed is that none of the public "washrooms" have toilet seat covers...
Tomorrow we are grabbing some breakfast at good old Dennys, attached to our hotel, and then heading to Jasper. Once we arrive we are going to do a lake tour of Lake Maligne. It is supposed to be pretty beautiful with a lot of great photo ops. I am looking forward to it.




No comments:
Post a Comment