Today I wrote an email to Sergio Rico.
He is an inmate at Sac County Jail.
Many people know him strictly as a bad guy, a drug dealer, and "the fat Mexican."
I know him much deeper than that.
He has played a role in my family for many many years.
He was my sisters best friend.
He was my protector.
He looked up to my Dad as his role model.
He loved my Mom and treated her tenderly.
We saw the good in him.
but he obviously didn't see it in himself.
He lost his way.
I didn't know what to say so I let the words flow from my fingertips without hesitation.
I told him I think of him often and pray for him.
I told him I love him and that I forgive him for his actions.
I also told him that he is blessed to have been given a second chance at a better life.
I have often wondered if he could have been the one who dealt the drugs that killed Justin.
I cannot hold him accountable if he did but I wanted to be sure that he sees he is lucky.
Justin will never get that second chance.
God works in the most mysterious of ways.
I have to believe that He is at work here.
I pray that he will change Sergio's heart.
The message here is the ability to forgive.
I could have anger and hatred toward Sergio
for the fact that he supplied my Dad the drugs that nearly took his life.
Instead I choose to forgive him and love him.
We all make mistakes.
We all fall short.
We all do things that we regret.
We all learn hard lessons.
Forgiveness does not always come easily but it takes the weight off of your heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment