Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Reflection.

Coming back home to Folsom was hard.  Reality's bite was harsh and stung.  I resented it at first; I felt like I was suffocating.  During the last 24 hours I have been editing, uploading, and browsing through all of our pictures so desperately wanting to go back.  To be in that moment again.  Instead I am back to my office, looking out at the same view that I have been seeing for the last 2 years.  You really don't appreciate the people, places, and things that have become the norm.  Instead I always crave something new, exciting, and different.  I am realizing that although I love traveling, I also need the stability and warmth of home. 

The first couple hours back at work were the hardest part.  The air felt stale.  I instantly fantasized about simply packing up my office and leaving.  I started thinking about where I would go, how I could make money as I went, I started mapping out a future full of travels and passions.  Ultimately though my mind would always wander back to HERE.  How I would miss my love, my dog, my family, my house, my friends, my job, school.  As the day progressed things lightened up.  I am gearing up to take over running the business, something that I am eager for.  I get to spread my wings and make this opportunity how I want it to be.  How incredible that I have been given such an awesome experience at the tender age of 22.  I will not pass this up.  No way, Jose.  I have a family here who care about me and want me to be happy, not everyone is that lucky.  Plus, I may be able to give my little sister an opportunity for a job which will ultimately help her future.  This makes the cup that much more full. 

Prior to my trip things were falling apart for me.  I felt lost, confused, resentful, and sugar coated with false hopes and optimism.  I saw the good in my life but couldn't fully appreciate them.  My relationship was teetering down quickly, we had lost sight of each other and were reaching the breaking point.  I had high expectations for this trip and it surpassed everything that I hoped for.  I have found a deeper appreciation than I ever thought possible.  I have found a deeper level of love than I ever thought possible.  I have found passion and inspiration.  I have realized that I can't map out my life but rather indulge in every moment that I am given to create my own path. 

Now when I look out my window it takes me back to our Contiki bus; where I gazed out the window at the passing beauty and contemplated about life.  Only here will not pass but rather remain.

1 comment:

  1. That's always tough to go back "to reality" after a trip. Doing my freelance work for two years was REALLY beneficial in allowing me to scratch that itch of "master of my destiny". If that makes sense. I'm at my job now and it's always exciting, I love all the hokey office stuff. Being away from it made me miss it. :)

    As far as life plans.. I do think that overall life plans are important. Often, on the day where the daily grind is a burden, I see how all I do is towards my longer term goals and it helps a lot. I'm not floundering, I have a purpose.

    And that's enough unasked for advice for today! :)

    ReplyDelete