I find myself constantly looking down at this beautiful ring and have to pinch myself to realize that this is real, I am engaged!! Time is flying by so quickly and everyone is already asking the big questions. We have hardly had time to enjoy our new reality let alone plan out our wedding! PUMP THE BREAKS! I think big fancy weddings are great, just not for me. I have never fantasized about wearing a big white poofy dress with a crown in my perfectly curled hair as hundreds of people look at me. Sounds more like my worse nightmare.
Honestly, I think some of the traditions of weddings are outdated, and well, kind of strange. Tell me it is not awkward to sit and watch a bride and groom have their first dance?!? Sure, there are aspects of weddings that are certainly meaningful but why do we need an elaborate ceremony to give our love meaning? Why go through the stress of planning, paying, preparing, and obsessing over a day that ends up being very little about the virtue of love and marriage? I want my wedding day to be intimate, I want all the focus to be on our love, I want to be surrounded by those, and only those, people who have stood by us every step of the way and remain the most important people in our lives. I want to feel the earth on my feet and the wind in my hair as I walk towards the man who captured my heart.
I cannot say for certain that we won't regret not having a large wedding someday, but I do know that at this point in our lives this feels the most right. I want to keep things simple. I want to enjoy this special time in our lives planting the seeds for our future. I don't want to open up the door for potential emotional conflict or turmoil. I have seen and can imagine the craziness that weddings bring out, especially one involving our loved ones. I refuse to even go there. I envision all of our friends and family just enjoying a nice casual summer day immersed in conversations, games, and activities. Have cornhole, cricket, horseshoes, face painting and a jump house to keep all ages entertained while we jam to some live music. Keep the food simple; BBQ some chicken, steak, and pork (for all you meat eaters), cook up some beans and rice, and set out all the fixings for a taco/nacho/salad bar. Rent a margarita machine and get a few kegs. Casual, casual, casual, come when you can, bring anything or nothing, and enjoy the circus of our lives!
That is what I want; to strip down the layers of fluff and focus on what is truly important. I want to keep my feet on the ground and stay humble and true to myself. What we have is so far beyond explanation other than God sent and I want to celebrate that in a way that is true to us.
My life is changing in so many ways and I am soaking it all in. I am so trusting in the journey that God has in store for us. He has blessed us with an incredible love and life together. There is nobody else that could treat me better, love me better, understand me better, provide for me better, travel with me better, or be better than the man God provided for me. Nothing else matters.
No comments:
Post a Comment