Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Impactful Moments

The breeze was lifting us as we made our way up the steep stairway.  We stood at the top of the cliff.  Out of breathe we all looked out at the incredible view.  That is when we spotted him. 

I knew I had to get closer.  Even though we were breathing heavily from our prior hike we began our voyage down the cliff.  Just you and I, the way we have always been. I looked ahead of us and then I looked back.  There they stood watching over us as we made our way down the steep rocky path.  I looked ahead again; a tree branch was right in front of me nearly meeting my face.  It was beautiful though and you were beautiful as you stood there.  I stopped to capture that moment to be forever still in film. 

We contined down and found that the ocean was making its way up to the rocks.  We climbed anyway.  Nothing was going to stop us from this moment. 

Trying to remain incognito as we made our way closer I clicked away capturing every essence of this very moment.  I smiled at you as you stood tall on the rock looking out at the calming sea. 

I could feel you radiate at the core of your being.  It must have been contagious because I too was radiant.  I took in the cold fresh air and breathed it in deeply.  I continued clicking away my camera.  There he was- the man- and now we could hear his melodies to the earth.  It was one of the most sensual moments I have experienced.  He didn't care who was listening, who was watching, who was capturing him in his concert.  He just cared that the universe continued to enrich his soul to praise it.  He was the essence of what we have always aspired to be. 

He was free. 
He was beautiful. 
He was raw. 
He was content. 
He was grateful. 
He was inspiring.

It made me miss you.  I turned my camera back to you.  My beautiful best friend.  My soul sister.  We realized the depth of this moment.  But instead of polluting it with the wrong words to describe it, we remained silent.  No words could really describe this anyway.  It was everything.  It was all our existance leading up to this moment.  Just you and me, a man playing his guitar to the ocean, and our loves looking down from atop the mountainside.  I continued to soak it in, I wanted this moment forever.  Finally, we broke the silence.  "Isn't it crazy that we live from one profound moment to the next?"  I replied, "Yeah, and we never really realize that all of the moments in between could be equally profound if we really wanted them to be."  We both looked back out at the waves crashing in, they were getting closer, a lot closer.  I realized that this wave was not going to stop, I frantically jumped up on the rock you were standing on.  I almost fell over as I lost my balance but you caught me.  You saved me from falling, you always have. 

We realized that as much as we did not want to leave this beautiful place and this moment that the ocean was making its way up and the only way back up would be underwater if we didnt hurry.  The man strumming his guitar must have also noticed because he was walking back.  It was an unspoken understanding that this moment had already come and passed.  Only it didn't really pass because it will forever be captured on film and in my memory.  I couldn't have thought of a better way to spend my last moments of being 22 than with you, here.  Even though life has taken us down different paths which have sometimes caused us to be more distant than before, this moment brought us back together.  This is why we have been best friends for so many years.  We do not have to speak words to understand one another, we have our own language that is spoken through silence and profound moments.  We have an understanding of ourselves, each other, and the beauty of this universe and our existance. 


We drove back on the 101, windows down, music blasting, and no words needed to be spoken.  We all soaked it in, each of our experience different and yet all intertwined.  That is when I spotted the airplane.  It lofted back and forth heading for the sun peaking through the dark clouds.  It reminded me of my life, of our lives.  I continued to watch it and I noticed that Andy was also intent on the plane.  I could only wonder what this moment had meant to him, what the plane signified to his heart, if anything.  It made its way in and out of the dark clouds, in and out of view, but still making its way to the sunshine.  I continued to watch it metaphorically relating it to the obstacles and dark clouds that I have made my way through and yet I still reach for the light.  Finally, it made its way out of view.  Again, the moment had come and passed but will forever be in my heart. 

We can live our lives from one profound moment to the next but when we realize that our entire existance is profound everything becomes much more beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment